Ten Fake Facts That Prop Evolution
See the reference list at the bottom for articles related to these topics.
1. The Universe Began with a Big Bang
Many people talk about the Big Bang as if it’s a scientific fact, but it’s really a speculation. It has never been proven. Some assume that because the universe is apparently still expanding, it must be a leftover effect from an explosive origin. But even if the universe is expanding today, it doesn’t require a Big Bang beginning.1 God could have created it to expand not from the size of a pear but from a much larger original size.
Even secular textbooks recognize Big Bang difficulties such as the horizon problem and the mature galaxy problem.2-4 If the Big Bang were true, the universe should not have such a stunning uniformity or “sameness” throughout its structure and temperature. The Big Bang would also mean that the galaxies farthest from Earth should look like baby galaxies. Instead, they look the same age as those near us.
2. The Earth Is 4.6 Billion Years Old
Secular scientists insist Earth formed through natural processes 4.6 billion years ago, but much evidence confirms our planet’s youth. At its current decay rate, for example, Earth’s magnetic field would have run down after only a million years.5
Earth’s fossils, coal, and diamonds are supposedly millions of years old, yet they all contain short-lived radiocarbon atoms that can last no more than 100,000 years.6
3. Geologists Use Good Science to Date Rocks
Nobody—not even geologists—can directly measure the age of a rock. None of us watched Earth’s rock layers form. So, when researchers measure isotopes in rocks, they have to use assumptions to convert isotope ratios into time estimates. They assume a consistent decay rate, how much of which isotope was there in the first place, and whether or not this or that isotope leaked into or out of the rock before or after it hardened.
Isotope-based “dates” for the same rock sample don’t always agree, so scientists must decide which results to keep and which to ignore. ICR’s Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth (RATE) multi-year study found strong evidence that secular geologists use bad science to date rocks.7-9
4. Scientists Are Close to Creating Life from Non-Life
Scientists have spent at least a century trying to create biological life from chemicals, yet they haven’t made even one DNA molecule.10 Since a cell’s energy, information storage, and metabolic machinery all depend on one another, the first cell could not have arisen through natural processes unless all three intricate systems sprang up at once.11-14 And besides that, body cells break down when they’re not part of a living being. The universal failure of people to make life highlights God as the source of all life (Psalm 36:9).
5. You Even Share Ancestry with Earthworms
We see variation within an animal kind, such as the lions, tigers, ligers, and cheetahs included in the cat kind.15 Creatures within a kind might develop trait variations to adapt to changing environments, but we never see fish turn into frogs or earthworms gradually change into people. Cats make cats, frogs produce frogs, and worms beget worms.
Evolutionists cannot agree on any of the proposed transitional creatures found among the fossils. They try to map animal and human ancestries by observing similar traits between creatures. But each researcher makes a different map as each one crafts a new story of how the same traits spontaneously evolved many times in a variety of animal kinds.16
6. Changes to Bacteria and Virus DNA Show Evolution in Action
Dr. Richard Lenski’s famous E. coli breeding experiment at the University of Chicago was designed to observe evolution happening in the lab. This famous experiment should’ve given us a glimpse of evolution occurring right before our eyes. But after 50,000 generations, he still breeds E. coli.17
Mutations caused a loss of regulation that made some E. coli more efficient citrate eaters, but this loss didn’t show that mutations can rebuild germs into anything but germs. Similarly, some people claim that the flu virus’ tendency to mutate into new strains demonstrates molecules-to-man evolution. But with every new flu strain, we’re still fighting the flu.18
7. Natural Selection Gives Creatures an Appearance of Design
Evolutionists credit natural selection through environmental pressures for the development of various creature features. For example, the properties of air supposedly helped make bird feathers air-resistant. In truth, scientists have never seen natural selection generate a new feature, much less an organ system, in a plant or animal.19
8. Whale Fossils Show Evolution
Museums have labeled Pakicetus as a whale ancestor since the 1980s, when only its skull was known. In spite of the 2001 discovery of a full-body Pakicetus fossil with legs rather than fins, museums continue to display this fake fact.20 Evolutionists teach that this walking mammal somehow evolved into a whale.21 Some speculated that whale “hip bones” were useless leftovers from when whale ancestors had legs. But further study showed these pelvic bones are vital for underwater mating.22
9. Fossil Ape-Men Prove Human Evolution
Donald Johanson insists that his fossil discovery nicknamed “Lucy” was a human ancestor, while Tim White insists that his discovery “Ardi” and not Lucy was a human ancestor.23 How can we know which, if either, is right?
Museum displays showed Lucy with human feet before anyone had ever found its foot fossils. But in 2018, a baby Lucy was discovered, and it had a curved, ape-like big toe. Lucy is an extinct form of ape—there’s nothing to indicate she’s part-human in any way.24 Experts have classified every supposed human ancestor fossil as an extinct ape, an extinct human, a mystery, or a fraud. At least some evolutionary experts disagree on every one as a human ancestor.25
10. Humans and Chimps Share 98% Genetic Identity
The chimpanzee is supposedly our closest relative in the animal kingdom, thought to have diverged from the same ape-like ancestor humans came from. For evolution to have enough time to make these changes, chimp and human genomes would have to be at least 98% similar.26 But chimps have 6% more DNA than humans. Plus, side-by-side sequence comparisons show no more than 85% similarity.27 Mutations don’t write new code. The 98% similarity line is fake.
Just One Conclusion
Evolution runs on rhetoric and not reality. ICR offers many in-depth resources that evaluate evolutionary assertions and arguments.28 The better we understand what makes evolution’s supposed facts fake, the better equipped we become to make a real difference.
- Thomas, B. New Sky Map Shows Big Bang Even More Unlikely. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org June 10, 2011, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Thomas, B. 2015. Distant Starlight and the Big Bang. Acts & Facts. 44 (6): 14.
- Thomas, B. Big Bang Fizzles under Lithium Test. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org September 22, 2014, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Thomas B. Distant Galaxies Look Too Mature for Big Bang. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org November 30, 2011, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Humphreys, D. R. 1993. The Earth’s Magnetic Field Is Young. Acts & Facts. 22 (8).
- Thomas, B. Carbon-14 Found in Dinosaur Fossils. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org July 6, 2015, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Austin, S.A., and A.A. Snelling. 1998. Discordant Potassium-Argon Model and Isochron “Ages” for Cardenas Basalt (Middle Proterozoic) and Associated Diabase of Eastern Grand Canyon, Arizona. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Creationism. Pittsburgh, PA: Science Fellowship, Inc. ,35-52.
- Austin, S. A. 2005. Do Radioisotope Clocks Need Repair? Testing the Assumptions of Isochron Dating Using K-Ar, Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd, and Pb-Pb Isotopes. In Radioisotopes and the Age of The Earth: Results of a Young-Earth Creationist Research Initiative, L. Vardiman et al., eds. San Diego, CA: Institute for Creation Research and the Creation Research Society, 325-392.
- Snelling, A. A. 1999. “Excess Argon”: The “Archilles’ Heel” of Potassium-Argon and Argon-Argon “Dating” of Volcanic Rocks. Acts & Facts. 28 (1).
- Thomas, B. New Life Origins Theory Has Old Problems. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org September 29, 2011, accessed March 12, 2019.
- Gish, D. 2007. A Few Reasons an Evolutionary Origin of Life Is Impossible. Acts & Facts. 36 (1).
- Thomas, B. First Cell's Survival Odds Not in Evolution's Favor. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org September 8, 2011, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Thomas, B. 2009. ATP synthase: majestic molecular machine made by a mastermind. Creation. 31 (4): 21-23.
- Thomas, B. Evolution of Life Research Close to Creation. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org January 4, 2013, accessed March 12, 2019.
- Thomas, B. No Fruit Fly Evolution Even after 600 Generations. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org November 16, 2010, accessed March 12, 2019.
- Thomas, B. and F. Sherwin. 2009. Darwin's Withering Tree of Life. Acts & Facts. 38 (5): 16.
- Thomas, B. 2015. Evolution’s Top Example Topples. Acts & Facts. 44 (10): 16.
- Thomas, B. Is the H1N1 Flu Evolving? Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org May 4, 2009, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Guliuzza, R. 2010. Natural Selection Is Not “Nature's Design Process.” Acts & Facts. 39 (4): 10-11.
- Thewissen, J. G. M. et al. 2001. Skeletons of terrestrial cetaceans and the relationship of whales to artiodactyls. Nature. 413 (6853): 277-281.
- Thomas, B. 2012. Ways That Whales Display Their Creator. Acts & Facts. 41 (8): 18-19.
- Thomas, B. Vital Function Found for Whale 'Leg' Bones. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org October 6, 2014.
- Thomas, B. Evolutionist Tosses Out 'Ardi' As Human Ancestor. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org June 8, 2010, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Thomas, B. More Evidence Lucy Was Just an Ape. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org July 11, 2018, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Thomas, B. Shakeups Continue among Human Evolutionary Candidates. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org June 3, 2010, accessed March 13, 2019.
- Tomkins, J. 2014. Human and Chimp DNA—Nearly Identical? Acts & Facts. 43 (2): 20.
- Tomkins, J. P. 2018. New Chimp Genome Confirms Creationist Research. Acts & Facts. 47 (10): 16.
- ICR offers news articles, books, podcasts, DVD series, and live events to help answer some of the most challenging questions of faith and science.
Adapted from Thomas, B. 2019. Toppling Ten Fake Facts That Prop Evolution. Acts & Facts. 48 (5): 5-7.