The paper models come in two versions. There is a simple version that can be constructed with just scissors and scotch tape (obviously, children should use kid-friendly blunt scissors to cut out the parts under adult supervision). The more sophisticated version, appropriate for 9th graders and above, requires additional supplies.
The Cassini space probe is of interest to biblical creationists for a number of reasons. First, Cassini collected data that Saturn’s rings can be no more than a few hundred million years old at most, despite the fact that secular astronomers think the planet is billions of years old.3 Since this age is an upper limit, the rings (and Saturn) could be just 6,000 years old, consistent with biblical history. David Coppedge, a systems administrator and team leader on Cassini at JPL (the Jet Propulsion Laboratory) made the following observations about the unease this discovery gave secular scientists:
It was clear to me that nothing would dislodge their belief in billions of years, but there was a subtext that it would be very troubling to them if the rings turned out to be young. These quotes [by secular scientists, cited by Coppedge] show that to be the case: they are flummoxed and dumbfounded by the evidence. They have no explanation, and they admit it.4,5
Of course, Cassini is by no means the only space probe to obtain data confirming recent creation. The Mariner 10 space probe found that Mercury had a magnetic field. However, secular scientists think a planetary magnetic field requires a hot, molten interior. Yet tiny Mercury’s interior should have already frozen solid if it is really billions of years old!6
Likewise, the Voyager 2 space probe confirmed predictions about Neptune and Uranus that were publicly made by a creation physicist years earlier.7,8 Many other examples could also be cited.9-12
In addition to the Cassini model, the ESA website also has a number of other paper spacecraft models, including a model of the Rosetta spacecraft appropriate for young children.2,13 Additional paper model spacecraft, of varying levels of difficulty, are also freely available from NASA, including models of the famous Hubble Space Telescope.14
Construction of a paper model of the Cassini space probe is a good do-at-home activity for families during the pandemic, all the while reminding you of the evidence for recent creation. In fact, ICR sells three outstanding astronomy DVDs, produced by a former space program insider,15-17 as well as the four-part video series The Universe: A Journey Through God’s Grand Design, available via digital download.18
1. European Space Agency. Phys.org. Space science from home: Resources for children and adults. Posted on phys.org March 26, 2020, accessed March 26, 2020.
2. Both simple and more sophisticated versions of these models may be found here.
3. Hebert, J. Secular Scientists Dumbfounded by Saturn’s Young Rings. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org January 8, 2018, accessed March 26, 2020.
4. Coppedge, D. F. It’s Official: Saturn’s Rings Are Young. Creation Evolution Headlines. Posted on crev.info January 3, 2018, accessed March 26, 2020.
5. Coppedge was also the victim in an outrageous example of viewpoint discrimination. He was demoted and eventually fired for privately sharing his support for intelligent design and his support for California’s Proposition 8, which opposed legalization of homosexual marriage. This happened in spite of the fact that his more secular colleagues were freely openly share their views on controversial subjects with impunity. See Coppedge, D. F. Wheel of Fortune: The Culture of Liberal Shaming. Posted on davidcoppedge.com October 11, 2017, accessed March 26, 2020.
6. Choi, C. Q. The Enduring Mysteries of Mercury. Space.com. Posted on space.com January 14, 2008, accessed March 26, 2020.
7. Humphreys, D. R. 1990. Beyond Neptune: Voyager 2 Supports Creation. Acts & Facts 19 (5).
8. Humphreys, D. R. 1984. The Creation of Planetary Magnetic Fields. Creation Research Society Quarterly 21 (3): 140-149.
9. Thomas, B. Mercury’s Surface Looks Young. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org October 24, 2011, accessed March 26, 2020.
10. Hebert, J. Moon is Still Unexpectedly Cooling and Shrinking. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org June 6, 2019, accessed March 26, 2020.
11. Thomas, B. Pluto’s Craterless Plains Look Young. Creation Science Update. Posted on ICR.org November 23, 2015, accessed March 26, 2020.
12. Hebert, J. 2018. Our Young Solar System. Acts & Facts 47 (9).
13. Build Your Own Rosetta Model. European Space Agency. ESA—Space for Kids.
14. Universe Spacecraft Paper Models. NASA Science: Share the Science. NASA.
15. Psarris, S. What You Aren’t Being Told About Astronomy, Volume 1: Our Created Solar System. Creation Astronomy Media.
16. Psarris, S. What You Aren’t Being Told About Astronomy, Volume 2: Our Created Stars and Galaxies. Creation Astronomy Media.
17. Psarris, S. What You Aren’t Being Told About Astronomy, Volume 3: Our Created Universe. Creation Astronomy Media.
18. The Universe: A Journey Through God’s Grand Design. Institute for Creation Research. Dallas, TX.
*Dr. Jake Hebert is Research Associate at the Institute for Creation Research and earned his Ph.D. in physics from the University of Texas at Dallas.