“But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” (James 2:20)
We can well do without many things in life, but there are at least seven things a Christian simply cannot do without.
- The Lord Jesus Christ. Speaking of the heathen nations before Christ, Paul said: “At that time ye were without Christ,...having no hope, and without God in the world” (Ephesians 2:12).
- Christ’s shed blood. “Without shedding of blood is no remission.” “Ye were not redeemed with corruptible things,...But with the precious blood of Christ” (Hebrews 9:22; 1 Peter 1:18-19).
- Christ’s sinlessness. The Lord Jesus “was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15). Therefore, He could die for our sins.
- Faith in Christ. “Without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is” (Hebrews 11:6).
- Faith-generated works. True faith in Christ inevitably produces good works. As our text reminds us, “faith without works is dead” (James 2:20).
- True holiness. “Follow...holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14). Genuine faith in Christ both receives His imputed holiness and also generates practical holiness in the believer.
- Heavenly chastisement. Unconfessed and unforsaken sin in a Christian’s life must receive chastisement from the Father. “If ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye...not sons” (Hebrews 12:8).
Days of Praise Podcast is a podcast based on the Institute for Creation Research quarterly print devotional, Days of Praise. Start your day with devotional readings written by Dr. Henry Morris, Dr. Henry Morris III, Dr. John Morris, and others to strengthen and encourage you in your Christian faith.