The Bible often uses examples from agriculture to highlight the work needed to bring people to Christ and disciple them to maturity. Farmers can’t expect a good crop unless the seed is first sown and then watered and fed. Similarly, believers must first sow the seed of the gospel and then labor in the hearts of people before they can expect God to give “the increase” of spiritual fruit (1 Corinthians 3:5-10). Since spiritual sowing and laboring can take various forms over time and in different stages, Christians should always look for opportunities to “sow bountifully,” knowing that God’s abounding grace will provide “abundance for every good work” (2 Corinthians 9:6-8).
As we enter the end of the year, this is an excellent time to think about the giving opportunities available to you. If ICR’s ministry has blessed you and you’d like to “sow” with us, please consider the following ways to support our work as we proclaim the truth of creation and our Creator, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Cash Gifts. Cash donations are undoubtedly the most helpful form of support and are put to good and immediate use in ICR’s ministry. Gifts to ICR are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law, and we would be grateful for the blessing of your financial support. To donate online or set up recurring monthly gifts, please visit ICR.org/donate.
- Stock Owners. The stock market continues to hover near all-time highs, so there may be no better time to give appreciated stocks or mutual fund shares to ICR. Shares held for at least one year can be gifted directly to us, providing you with a full tax deduction at their current value while paying no capital gains tax. Contact ICR and let us help you facilitate your gift, or visit ICR.org/donate_stocks for ICR’s brokerage information.
- IRA Owners. The IRA Charitable Rollover allows IRA owners who are 70½ years or older to give up to $100,000 each year to ICR without declaring it as income. These popular gifts are free from federal income tax and count toward your required minimum withdrawal. Contact your IRA administrator and let them know you’d like to bless ICR with a gift today. For more information, please visit ICR.org/donate_iras.
- Corporate Matching Gifts. Many companies match gifts by employees and retirees to tax-exempt organizations like ICR—especially now that the ICR Discovery Center for Science & Earth History is open and qualifies as a cultural/educational museum. Matches are typically made dollar for dollar, providing a superb opportunity to double the gifts you are already making. Check with your HR department to get started, or visit ICR.org/matching-gifts for more information.
- Charitable Gift Annuities. For senior supporters over 65, charitable gift annuities (CGAs) provide the best guaranteed returns available today—typically 4.5 to 9%, depending on age. For as little as $10,000, an ICR gift annuity will provide guaranteed income for life, a present tax deduction, and a tax-free portion on future payments—benefits the secular marketplace can’t match. If you’d like to help ICR and still need ongoing income, this option may be right for you. Not all states qualify, so please contact us at 800.337.0375 or stewardship@ICR.org for a customized proposal.
- Workplace Campaigns. Many large companies and government organizations offer the convenience of automatic payroll deduction to give to charities of the employee’s choosing. For federal government and military personnel, ICR is approved by the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC #23095) and by all corporate giving programs as a write-in designation.
ICR is deeply grateful for those who partner with us, and we “give thanks to the LORD for His goodness” through you (Psalm 107:8). From all of us at ICR, have a most blessed Thanksgiving reflecting on the One to whom all praise is due.
* Mr. Morris is Director of Operations at the Institute for Creation Research.