“Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.” (Psalm 28:6-7)
The story of David facing fears of surrounding enemies and impending death seems to be on repeat in the Psalms. But before we allow it to become redundant, consider your own life. How often do you face trials that strain your heart with fear, worry, and doubt? Perhaps David’s life isn’t too far from your own, just with fewer spears and battle cries.
In today’s psalm, David spends the first portion crying out to the Lord for help. But for our encouragement and edification, pay special attention to the close of this installment of Scripture. David goes from heart-wrenching prayer to heartfelt praise!
Consider practicing praise throughout your daily prayer pattern. Here are several reasons why you should bless the Lord.
- He hears your prayers (Psalm 66:17-20; Matthew 21:22; 1 John 5:14-15).
- He is your strength (Exodus 15:2; Isaiah 40:29; Philippians 4:13).
- He is your shield (Psalm 18:2; 33:20; Proverbs 30:5).
- He is trustworthy (Psalm 9:10; 56:3; Proverbs 3:5-6; Jeremiah 17:7).
- He is your helper (Psalm 54:4; Isaiah 41:10; Hebrews 13:6).
- He gives you reason to rejoice (Isaiah 61:10; Romans 15:13; Philippians 4:4).
- He is worthy of praise and worship (2 Samuel 22:4; Psalm 96:4; Revelation 4:11).
Days of Praise Podcast is a podcast based on the Institute for Creation Research quarterly print devotional, Days of Praise. Start your day with devotional readings written by Dr. Henry Morris, Dr. Henry Morris III, Dr. John Morris, and others to strengthen and encourage you in your Christian faith.