Urgency & Opportunity: Poll Shows Evolving Trends | The Institute for Creation Research

Urgency & Opportunity: Poll Shows Evolving Trends

A recent study indicates that only 37 percent of Americans believe God created human beings in the very recent past—essentially as described in the Bible.1 Another 25 percent believe humans evolved over millions of years, but the process was somehow guided by the hand of God. The sum of these two figures shows that 62 percent of Americans believe that God—in some fashion—created mankind. 17 percent of survey respondents answered "not sure."

However, 21 percent of Americans believe humans evolved over eons of time with no God in the picture. While that figure may seem rather low, it has actually grown since 2008, when those believing in a Godless evolution stood at only 15 percent. And in 2004 it was only 13 percent.

It appears that the trend will continue to grow, since almost a third, 31 percent, of people in the 18 to 29 year-old group believe humans evolved from lower forms of life without God's intervention.

This growing disbelief in any form of creation may reflect decades of successful indoctrination tactics such as those used in evolution-soaked classroom settings. After all, a 1998 poll confirmed that 72 percent of "greater" U.S. scientists do not believe in God—an increase of only four percentage points from 1933.2 Is the trickle-down effect of decades of anti-God instructors bearing fruit of unbelief among younger segments of the U.S. population? Secular religious views, with their accompanying Godless tales of human origins, purpose, and destiny, have somehow gained traction without the support of sound reason or substantive evidence.

Other details from the study, posted on yougov.com, reveal potential opportunities.3 The highest percentage of "not sure" respondents, 19 percent, also came from the seemingly skeptical 18 to 29 year-old group. This indicates a possible willingness to listen to both sides of the argument. Also, many Jewish, Muslim and Buddhist responders were "not sure," coming in at 32, 36 and 40 percent respectively.

This trend toward secularism reflects an urgency to reach people—especially the younger generation—with the message of creation. One side of the coin suggests urgency, and the other side, opportunity.

References

  1. Hallowell, B. Did God Really Create the Universe and Mankind? Yahoo News. Posted on yahoo.com July 23, 2013, accessed July 24, 2013.
  2. Larson, E.J., and L. Witham. 1998. Leading scientists still reject God. Nature. 394 (6691): 313.
  3. Henderson, B. Belief in Evolution up Since 2004. YouGov. Posted on today.you.gov.com on July 22, 2013, accessed on July 26, 2013.

* Mr. Thomas is Science Writer at the Institute for Creation Research. Michael Stamp is an editor at the Institute for Creation Research.

Article posted on July 29, 2013.

The Latest
NEWS
Inside December 2021 Acts & Facts
How can we understand Christ’s role as our mediator from a scientific perspective? Why was ICR's first dinosaur excavation significant for...

APOLOGETICS
Christ’s Providence Is Clearly Seen in Bird Migrations
Just as monkeys can’t accidently type Shakespeare texts, birds can’t migrate by evolutionary luck, despite imagined eons of time for “lucky”...

ACTS & FACTS
Creation Kids: Snowflakes
by Christy Hardy and Susan Windsor* You’re never too young to be a creation scientist! Kids, discover fun facts about God’s creation with...

ACTS & FACTS
The Gift of God Himself
Each Christmas we remember how deeply God loves us. His wondrous plan of salvation—first set in motion in the Garden of Eden—was miraculously...

ACTS & FACTS
Early Land Plant Evolution?
In a recent Science article, two evolutionists consider land plants (embryophytes) to have evolved from stoneworts (charophyte algae).1 A...

ACTS & FACTS
Biblical Creation and Intellectual Foolishness
In a recent interview discussing his new book In Quest of the Historical Adam, philosopher and Christian apologist William Lane Craig acknowledged his...

ACTS & FACTS
Are Birds “Cousins” to Reptiles?
Are today’s birds genealogical “cousins” to today’s reptiles due to a shared evolutionary ancestry? No. However, birds and...

ACTS & FACTS
Haleakala National Park: One of Many Young-Looking Volcanoes
You can start the day atop the cold peak of Mt. Haleakala and end it on a warm beach on Maui. The sprawling volcanic mountain rises 10,000 feet above...

ACTS & FACTS
The Oceans Point to a Young Earth
by Jeffrey P. Tomkins, Ph.D., and Tim Clarey, Ph.D.* Over 70% of Earth's surface is covered by water, most of which is marine and contained in...

ACTS & FACTS
Jesus Christ Is Our Perfect Mediator
We’ll never get bored throughout eternity. There is always something wonderfully new to learn about our precious Lord Jesus, the uplifting Holy...