The Settled Word
by Henry M. Morris III, D.Min. | Dec. 2, 2015
“Forever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.” (Psalm 119:89)
Most who read the Bible regularly are probably familiar with these sweeping statements from the Scriptures.
- “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11).
- “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled” (Matthew 5:18).
- “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away” (Matthew 24:35).
- “But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you” (1 Peter 1:25).
On this foundation, the psalmist made additional promises to his Lord in this stanza (Psalm 119:89-96). He noted the affliction that almost took his life (v. 92) and the wicked who tried to destroy him (v. 95), common enough occurrences among the godly. But in spite of the troubles in life, this godly man knew that the evidence abounds for God’s faithfulness throughout the earth (vv. 90-91).
God’s 77 rhetorical questions to Job (Job 38–41) centered on the evidence of His control and care for the universe. These prompted the psalmist to reiterate his commitment to a firm familiarity with God’s precepts and a continual effort to seek them (Psalm 119:93-94).
He knew that the wicked would continue trying to destroy, and that human affairs limit the possibility of perfection. But the godly man would understand God’s testimonies, since they are sufficient to apply to all situations (v. 96). HMM III
Come Forth as Gold
“That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 1:7) More...
Adam’s Failure, Christ’s Strength
- The Faithful Creator
- The Pilgrims
- I Need No Other Argument
- Leaning on the Word
- Enough for Me
- A Resting Place
- A Marvelous Thing
- Godly Examples
- Redeem the Time
- Watch in Prayer
- Business Structure: Masters
- Business Structure: Servants
- Maker and Owner
- The Sleeper