"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people" (Hebrews 8:10).
God's progressive revelation throughout history involves several sovereign communications to mankind. There are seven such revelations listed in the Bible:
1. Written in Nature. Psalm 19:1-2 states: "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge."
2. Written in Conscience. Romans 1:19 says that all men are without excuse "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them."
3. Written on Stone. "And the Lord said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written" (Exodus 24:12).
4. Written in Scripture. "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope" (Romans 15:4).
5. Written in Christ. "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth" (John 1:14).
6. Written in Believers. "Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men" (II Corinthians 3:2).
7. Written on the Heart. This is revelation recounted in our text (and quoted from Jeremiah 31:33) of a day coming where God will make Himself known in a new way by ruling visibly upon the earth and being personally accessible to all. DW