Scripture frequently uses agrarian images to emphasize the effort necessary to bring people to Christ or disciple them to maturity. Just as the farmer cannot expect a harvest unless the seed is first planted and nurtured, so too Christians must sow and labor in the hearts of mankind before God will produce spiritual fruit (1 Corinthians 3:5-10). And as Paul often reminded believers in the churches he founded, spiritual sowing and laboring takes various forms and is accomplished in different stages. We should always be looking for the opportunity to “do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith” (Galatians 6:10).
As we enter the final months of the year, this is an excellent time to think about the giving opportunities available to you. If the ICR ministry has blessed you and you would like to partner with us, please consider the following ways to support ICR’s unique mission of proclaiming the truth of creation and our Creator, the Lord Jesus Christ. We welcome the opportunity to serve you. You can reach us at 800.337.0375 or stewardship@ICR.org.
- Cash Gifts. There is truth in the saying “Cash is king,” and there is also no doubt cash gifts are the most versatile and helpful form of support to ICR’s work. Gifts to ICR are fully tax-deductible, and we would be grateful for the blessing of your financial support.
- Stock Owners. The stock market is roaring, and there may be no better time to give appreciated stocks or mutual fund shares to support ICR. Shares held for at least one year can be gifted directly to us, providing you with a full tax deduction at their current value while paying no capital gains tax! Contact ICR and let us help facilitate your gift, or visit ICR.org/donate_stocks for ICR’s brokerage information.
- IRA Owners. The IRA Charitable Rollover allows IRA owners who are 70½ years or older to make gifts up to $100,000 each year to ICR without declaring it as income. Not only are these popular gifts exempt from federal tax, they also count toward your required minimum withdrawal! Contact your IRA administrator to take advantage of this special opportunity.
- Corporate Matching Gifts. Many companies match gifts by employees and retirees to tax-exempt organizations like ICR. With matches typically made dollar-for-dollar, this is a superb opportunity to “sow bountifully” (2 Corinthians 9:6) by doubling the value of gifts you are already making. Please check with your HR department today to get started.
- Seniors. For supporters over 65, Charitable Gift Annuities provide the best guaranteed returns available today—typically 4.5 to 9%, depending on age. For as little as $10,000, an ICR gift annuity will provide guaranteed income for life, a present tax deduction, and a tax-free portion on future payments—benefits the secular marketplace cannot match. If you would like to help ICR but still need ongoing income, this option may be right for you. Not all states qualify, so please contact us for a customized proposal.
Government Employees. ICR is qualified to participate in the following exclusive workplace giving programs only available to government employees.
- Federal and Military Employees. U.S. military personnel and federal government workers can support ICR via automatic payroll deductions through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). Our CFC identification number is 23095. You can find us in the National/International section of your campaign brochure when making your pledge this fall.
- State Employees in Texas and California. Similar to the CFC, state employees in Texas and California can give directly to ICR through their employee workplace campaigns. Please consider designating the Institute for Creation Research on your pledge form this year.
* Mr. Morris is Director of Donor Relations at the Institute for Creation Research.
Cite this article: Henry M. Morris IV. 2017. Opportunities to Sow with ICR. Acts & Facts. 46 (9).