Do The Difficult Questions Have Answers?
by John D. Morris, Ph.D.
Throughout the years, questions have been raised regarding the Christian faith, which have caused many to stumble, or even abandon the faith altogether. Some seem rather simple, while others are difficult. But if the Christian faith is the true faith, there must be answers, and there are, if one is willing to study and believe.
It does no good to ignore the questions, or to insist that some questions are unaskable, exhibiting a "lack of faith." If young people can't ask and receive honest, satisfying answers in their Christian homes or churches, they will probably assume there are no answers, and deny the validity of Christianity. Remember, many, if not most of the leading humanists, atheists, and anti-Christians come from Christian homes. A few such plaguing questions, with (very) brief answers, follow. (I recommend the ICR book, The Bible Has the Answer as one excellent source of more complete answers.)
1) Evidence for a Creator God? The design and order of the universe, in particular living systems, demands an intelligent Designer. To deny the obvious signature of God in His creation is to be "without excuse" (Romans 1:20).
2) Where did God come from? The Bible reveals God as self-existent. This is a basic assumption of Christianity, but all the facts of nature support the validity of this assumption.
3) Where did Cain get his wife? Adam and Eve had "sons and daughters" (Genesis 5). Such unions were a genetic problem by the time of Moses, but were not a problem so soon after Creation.
4) Human color differences? Genetic studies have shown that all humans have the same color, although some have more of the skin-coloring agent than others.
5) Where did the races come from? All humans are descended from Noah's family. Isolation of language groups following the dispersion at the Tower of Babel caused certain characteristics to be expressed which best fit the local environment.
6) What about the dinosaurs? The Bible reveals that land animals were created on Day Six of Creation Week. There is much evidence that humans and dinosaurs have lived at the same time.
7) Carbon–14? The Carbon–14 dating method is applicable only for the most recent 3000 years or so, good for dating human archaeological remains.
8) Is the earth billions of years old? Other radiometric dating schemes are thought by some to show that the earth is old, but in reality do not prove the earth is old. They merely assume it, and then work within that and other questionable assumptions. All the real facts fit the concept of a young earth.
9) Is there evidence for Noah's Flood? The global, mountain-covering flood described in the Bible laid down most of the world's fossil bearing (things that died in the Flood judgment) sedimentary (water-deposited) rock. To deny the Flood is to be willingly ignorant" (II Peter 3:6).
10) Isn't Creation a side issue? Most of Christian doctrine is based on Genesis, especially the definition of, and punishment for sin, and man's desperate need for a Savior to die in substitutionary payment for that sin. The Genesis account of creation is vital to the Christian faith.
*Dr. John Morris is the President of ICR.
Cite this article: John D. Morris, Ph.D. 1989. Do The Difficult Questions Have Answers?. Acts & Facts. 18 (9).